Showing posts from July, 2015

Hot Lake Hotel

Hot Lake Hotel was originally built in 1864 in La Grande, Oregon during the gold rush. It resembled that of a shopping mall. Businesses located in the wooden structure included barber shop, dance hall, post office, blacksmith, and bath house. In 1903, the original building was demolished and construction began on a new brick hotel. Dr. William T. Phy first became involved in the project in 1904. Construction was completed in 1908 containing 100 guest rooms.

It became THE place for vacationers as the 205 degree sulfurous Hot Lake were thought to have healing properties. Phy bought the establishment in 1917 and turned it in to a state-of-the-art medical facility known as the Hotel Lake Sanatorium or the "Mayo Clinic of the West". It came equipped with medical wards, offices, and a kitchen/dance hall. The Mayo Brothers (founders of the Mayo Clinic) and Wild Bill Hickok and his Wild West Show also visited Hot Lake regularly. Prior owners and investors include Governor Walter M. …